Geocaching is a worldwide adventure game that gets you off the couch and exploring new places. Using a GPS device (you can use your smartphone if you don’t have a special GPS device) you navigate to specific coordinates to find treasure!
There are over 2 million geocaches around the world and almost 50 in our area (that we know of). Sign up at geocaching.com to find local geocaches, and tag us in your photos on the Visitor Centre facebook page!
According to geocaching.com, this is how you play:
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership.
- Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache” page.
- Enter your postal code and click “search.”
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
There are many other levels to the game. Keep reading the guide to learn more!
Visit Shuswap Tourism for information on geocaching in the Shuswap.